National spelt out its view of New Zealand today being that the Treaty did not create a partnership but was the launching pad for the creation of one sovereign nation with many peoples.
Specific pledges are:
* Make membership of the Waitanagi Tribunal a full-time, not part-time, job so hearings can be acclerated
* Increase capacity of the Office of Treaty Settlements
* Appointing a number of specialist direct negotiators to work with claimant groups
* Removal of references to the “Principles of the Treaty of Waitangi” from 39 statutes with priority being the RMA and the Local Government Electoral Act
* Review the five specialist Maori agencies