The Washington Post reports on how the United Nations is having a two day conference on religious tolerance. It has chosen Saudia Arabia to chair the conference.
- bans the public practice of non-Islamic religions
- views its interpretation of Islamic law as its sole source of guidance on human rights
- Muslims who do not follow the official strict and conservative version of Sunni Islamcan face severe repercussions at the hands of Mutawwa’in (religious police)
- forbids missionary work by any religion other than Wahabi/Salafi Islam
- Jewish, Christian or Hindu houses of prayer are not allowed
- the government can search the home of anyone and arrest or deport foreign workers for owning religious icons and symbols
- Under Saudi law conversion by a Muslim to another religion is considered apostasy, a crime punishable by death if the accused does not recant.
Yes the perfect country to chair a UN conference on religious tolerance – one that executes you if you swap to a non tolerated religion
Hat Tip: Micky’s MusesTags: Islam, religious freedom, Saudi Arabia, UN