German Chancellor Angela Merkel joins the long iist of people criticising Pope Benedict’s decision to reinstate the Holocaust-denying bishop Richard Williamson to the fold.
It is an appalling decision. Bishop Williamson is a fully fledged anti-semite. Some examples:
- believes the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are accurate
- Jews are aiming for world domination
- the Holocuast never happened says “There was not one Jew killed by the gas chambers. It was all lies, lies, lies!”
- The Sept 11 attacks were an inside job
- Has been a guest of David Irving’s
- Says that Stalin, not Hitler, was to blame for WWII
- Talks of Jews preparing the Anti-Christ’s throne in Jerusalem
- Says Jews used the Holocaust lies to extort money from the German Government
The Bishop has expressed regret for the controversy, but has not retracted any of his statements. Oh, he also believes girls should not go to university saying “true universities are for ideas, ideas are not for true girls, so true universities are not for true girls”.
The Pope is from Germany himself. He saw the horrors of Hitler as a young boy, forced into the Hitler Youth against his will. It is incredibly disappointing that he can not see how offensive his acceptance of Bishop Williamson back into the Church is. The signal it sends is that the Roman Catholic Church condones anti-semitism, even if this is not the case.