Whale Oil has called time of death on the Progressives. I think he is right. Why:
- Long-term Anderton/Progressive strategist John Pagani is Labour’s Mt Albert Campaign Manager, as confirmed on Q&A this morning
- Progressive Deputy Leader is pictured on Labour’s Mt Albert’s campaign website with a Labour rosette
- Anderton is effectively a Labour MP, as they have made him their Spokesperson on Agriculture.
Should Anderton still be treated as a party leader? His salary is set at $144,500 instead of $131,000 due to this status.
What other perks does Anderton get by being a party leader?
- Ability to have the taxpayer pay for his spouse to accompany him on overseas parliamentary travel
- An extra $100,000 of taxpayer funding ($164,320 instead of $64,320
One can argue that as the Progressive Party is not contesting the by-election, it is natural for them to support Labour. Having the Deputy Leader of one party wearing a rosette for anotehr is unprecedented.
Put it like this. If ACT did not contest a by-election, would you ever see the ACT Deputy Leader wearing a National rosette out campaigning for the National candidate? Of course not.Tags: Jim Anderton, John Pagani, Matt Robson, Progressive