A Paulus Telfer has applied to the Electoral Commission, to register the logo below as the official logo for a 51st state party:
Yes that is 51 stars on there. Six rows, with half having nine stars and half having eight stars. The current US flag has nine rows, with five rows of six, and four rows of five.
Mr Telfer incidentally stood for Mayor of Christchurch and got 289 votes. Bob Parker won with 46,104.
Anyway I thought I would see if I could come up with ten reasons why we should become the 51st state of the United States.
- We would now get to bully Australia
- No more royal tours
- Cheaper gas
- The SAS would get the much cooler name of Delta Force
- We would now be the possessors of the Olympic Gold Medal for Rugby Union
- We instantly have an effective free trade agreement with the US
- The ANZUS Treaty would then become the A’n’US treaty.
- Just as one has African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Arab-Americans, we would be Kiwi-Americans
- No longer would need to fund MFAT
- Someone earning NZ$100,000 (US$70,000) would pay 19.5% federal income tax instead of the average 29.5% currently imposed.