Audrey Young in the NZ Herald reports:
Labour has again changed its position on the foreshore and seabed, withdrawing its support for the bill repealing the current law while it is part-way through the select committee process. …
And they note the multiple flip-flops:
* 2004: Labour Govt passes Foreshore and Seabed Act asserting Crown ownership, preventing Maori from claiming customary title in court, but setting up alternative regime of rights.
* 2009 April: Labour in Opposition renounces F&S Act saying it would support law restoring right to go to court.
* 2009 Nov: Leader Phil Goff says there is nothing wrong with the way F&S Act is working and repeal would be cynical.
* 2010 Sept: Labour supports new bill designed to repeal F&S Act.
* 2010 Dec: Labour withdraws its support for the bill.
If we wait long enough, I’m sure we’ll get position No 6.Tags: Labour, seabed & foreshore