Got sent a spreadsheet comparing costs in the Hawke’s Bay of various fruit and vegetables between outlets and products. It shows that the difference between various retail outlets is far far more than the 15% GST. Some examples – all expressed as costs/kg:
- Pumpkins – 94c at roadside vendor v $1.99 supermarket
- Cabbages – $1.88 at roadside vendor v $4.43 supermarket
- Brocolli – $5.11 at roadside vendor v $9.97 supermarket
- Tomatoes – $14.56 at supermarket fresh v $3.75 canned
- Beans – $6.57 frozen v $3.75 canned
- Peas – $5.23 frozen v $3.75 canned v $2.49 Pams Peas
Amazing there is such a huge price variation.