I am as mad as hell and I’m not going to take it any more.
Ok, that might be going a bit far.
I admit I’m not one to get especially outraged by political spin – or to be surprised that an election campaign will bring out the worst lies, half-truths and statistics.
But with just three days to go, here are the top five things I am sick of hearing from politicians, press releases or “loyal” supporters.
1) National will sell Kiwibank
No it won’t. Certainly not in the next three years – quite the reverse. in fact if it has any intention of winning in 2014 it would be nuts to even try, and frankly it is a bit soon to be fighting the 2014 campaign.
This is Labour’s latest lie. This is despite John Key saying National will never sell Kiwibank while he is Prime Minister. Labour can’t win on the truth.
The other four things Vernon is sick of hearing is:
- The after-tax wage gap with Australia has closed
- The number of people leaving for Australia is/was better/worse under Labour/National
- There is a $16 billion hole in Labour’s fiscal plans
- Labour will only borrow an extra $4b
- Winston Peters’ voters are dying out
I’m pleased to see that Vernon’s estimate of extra debt under Labour is close to mine. I make it $12b and Vernon says “about $10-12b”.
Of course that is just Labour’s extra debt. You have to add on the billions to appears Greens, NZ First and Mana also.