After having failed to get the residents of Oamaru, Christchurch, Wellington and Napier to pay for Auckland’s CBD rail loop, Len Brown has proposed half a dozen new taxes as possible ways to pay for the loop.
The proposed taxes include:
- Regional income tax – new income tax paid only by Aucklanders.
- Regional payroll tax – new income tax paid by Auckland employers.
- Regional GST – raising GST in Auckland.
- Regional fuel tax – raising petrol and diesel taxes across Auckland.
- Visitor taxes – nightly charge for hotel and motel rooms.