Kate Chapman at Stuff reports:
A convicted sex offender has been working in schools as a teacher, Education Minister Hekia Parata has announced.
Parata said the schools affected had been notified.
A ministerial inquiry, led by former ombudsman Mel Smith, would be held into how the sex offender was employed. The person had been registered as a teacher since 2000.
“At this stage I cannot discuss the details of this individual case as the matter is now before the courts [in Auckland],” Parata said.
She was “extremely concerned” and was told late last week that the person had been arrested for breaching a condition of their release. The person was in custody.
The Ministry of Education was working with the schools and their communities but it was possible others had been affected, Parata said.
“Parents should be able to send their children to school confident that an individual of this type is not part of that school environment,” she said.
The ministry had asked the courts to vary suppression orders so other schools and parents could be informed.
The ministerial inquiry into the matter would report back by April 30, Parata said.
How appalling. Obviously something has seriously gone wrong for him to have been working as a teacher for 12 years. At this stage the reports don’t state that he has necessarily abused any students, and hopefully he has not. But there will be a huge number of concerned families.