The full list is at DPMC.
There are four appointments to the Order of New Zealand:
- Dame Margaret Bazley
- Dame Malvina Major
- Sir Peter Jackson
- Prince Philip
The first three all recognise people who have excelled in their field of endeavour. The last I guess is a present for the Queen on her diamond jubilee. I understand the rationale but don’t agree with it. The Order of New Zealand should be for New Zealanders or at least people who have done something significant for New Zealand.
Then seven Dame or Knight Commanders:
- Michael Cullen, services to the State
- Rod Deane, services to business and the community
- John Kirwan, services to mental health and rugby
- Mabel Mariu, services to Maori and the community
- Pieter Stewart, services to fashion and the community
- Beverley Wakem, services to the State
- Maarten Wevers, services to the State
Congrats to all those honoured. When I read the list on Friday, via the No Right Turn blog, I exclaimed with delight at John Kirwan getting a knighthood. His leadership in the area of mental health has been inspirational, and made a real difference to many New Zealanders.Tags: honours