- In Woodville, Palmerston North a husband and wife kept 161 cats and 87 dogs in extreme circumstances.
- In Wellsford two men shot 33 dogs and puppies one by one
- A 20 year old Kaikoura man who bludgeoned to death 25 seals, including newborns pups, with a metal pipe
- A 40 year old Waikino Farmer has been convicted over the ill treatment of dairy cows. The man was sentenced to 10 months home detention for breaking 115 of the 135 herd cow’s tails and hitting them on the hind legs with a steel pipe causing broken legs and swollen and infected joints in a number of the cows.
- In South Auckland an emaciated puppy was dumped in a box at the end of a drive way in Manurewa. The puppy was unable to stand or walk and the puppy’s bones could be seen through its skin.
- In Te Atatu, Auckland a 3 year old silver tabby was found outside an archery club with an arrow that had been fired into his head which went through the back of the head and out near its eye with the arrow still protruding when found.
- In Timaru a beloved family cat was found deliberately cut up outside her Waimataitai home. The 17 year old cat was found nearby a beheaded hedgehog. Police considered the case as being premeditated and sadistic.
- In Rotorua the owner of a Shar Pei cross threaded a climbing carabiner through the neck of the dog, a chain was clipped to this and then attached to the dog’s kennel. The owner also claimed he took it for walks like this.
I find pet abuse as inexplicable as child abuse – it goes against all the instincts that most human beings have.
You can donate to the SPCA here.