Life Expectancy

April 16th, 2013 at 3:00 pm by David Farrar

has the latest life expectancy data:

  • at birth is 83.0 years for females and 79.3 years for males.
  • Life expectancy at birth has increased by 0.8 years for females and 1.3 years for males since 2005–07.
  • Female life expectancy at birth is 3.7 years higher than male life expectancy at birth, down from the largest difference of 6.4 years in 1975–77.
  • The gap between Māori and non-Māori life expectancy at birth has narrowed to 7.3 years. This compares with 9.1 years in 1995–97, 8.5 years in 2000–02, and 8.2 years in 2005–07.
  • Life expectancy at birth is 76.5 years for Māori females and 72.8 years for Māori males, compared with 83.7 years for non-Māori females and 80.2 years for non-Māori males.

The closing of the gap between men and women, and between Maori and non-Maori is a good thing (so long as the gap closing is by both getting better, not worse!).

The average life expectancy for a 45 year old non-Maori male is another 37 years, so that may be 47 years of Kiwiblog to look forward to :-)

If like me you are a male born in 1967, then there is a 96.4% chance you are still alive, and 3.6% chance you have already died. The chance of dying within the next year is 0.2%.

If you were a male born 65 years ago, there is a 12.8% chance you have died and a 1.1% chance you will die in the next year.

The age at which you have a 10% chance of dying in the next year if you are a male is 86 and at 90 you have a 16% chance of dying in the next year.

At age 67, the chance you have died is 28.1% for Maori men, 21.2% for Maori women, 12.2% for non-Maori men and 8.8% for non-Maori women.

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Life Expectancy”

  1. UrbanNeocolonialist (136 comments) says:

    So to be fair women should retire 4 years after men, and maori about 7 years before europeans.

    Vote: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  2. Manolo (12,643 comments) says:

    What’s wrong with Stone Age genes?

    Vote: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 3 You need to be logged in to vote
  3. shoreboy57 (116 comments) says:

    Hasn’t the “obesity epidemic” shortened our life expectancy? Clearly Stats aren’t talking to Robyn Toomath

    Vote: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  4. Nigel Kearney (747 comments) says:

    >The average life expectancy for a 45 year old non-Maori male is another 37 years, so that
    >may be 47 years of Kiwiblog to look forward to

    Is this a typo or will the last 10 years be mainly about how the diet is going well but dirt tastes really bad?

    [DPF:Kiwiblog has been going for 10 years. If it goes for another 37 years that is 47 years in total]

    Vote: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  5. RRM (8,997 comments) says:

    You know you’re starting to get old, when you start thinking about this sort of thing… ;-)

    Vote: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  6. Muzza M (286 comments) says:

    Why do husbands die before their wives? Because they want to.

    Vote: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 1 You need to be logged in to vote
  7. mara (641 comments) says:

    I know the point of life expectancy stats. Somalia ..39, Bangladesh 47, Finland 90 or whatever etc but personally, to hell with wanting to be ancient, infirm and longing for death in a fecking rest home. Err, I mean retirement village . For every old dear you see on TV parachuting at the age of 90 with 100 loving descendants in thrall, there are a thousand more lonely oldies rotting away steadily and, in their more lucid moments, wondering why the hell modern medicine and their clean-living lives have lead to this misery. On balance, I’d rather drink, smoke and make merry.

    Vote: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  8. bereal (3,137 comments) says:

    UrbanNeocolonialist, you are wrong,

    to be fair, Maori should make better lifestyle choices for themselves, then they would have
    an equal life expectancy with the rest of New Zealanders.

    It’s up to them. (you can take a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink)

    Get it ?

    PS, that also answers Manolos question.

    Vote: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  9. mara (641 comments) says:

    Muzza M ….Why do husbands die before their wives? BOOM BOOM because they want to.” Muzza, when I was about 13, I thought that was funny too. How old are you?

    Vote: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 2 You need to be logged in to vote
  10. Jim (385 comments) says:

    “then there is a 96.4% chance you are still alive, and 3.6% chance you have already died”

    Those clauses read as unconditional present-tense declarative. So there is a not insignificant chance that I am already dead?

    I’m sure there is a chance that a male born in 1967 could have died by now, but you are most certainly among the living.

    Vote: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  11. Steve (North Shore) (4,330 comments) says:

    Muzza is correct. I agree and I have been in the workforce for over 45 years.
    Had a humour removal operation mara? Go play on the railway line.

    Vote: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 1 You need to be logged in to vote
  12. mara (641 comments) says:

    Steve, if you have been working for 45 years, there is something very unhappy about you unless you are doing this for love.

    Vote: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 1 You need to be logged in to vote
  13. Fletch (5,727 comments) says:

    The life expectancy for gay men is probably around 55 years old.

    While the number of studies on the life expectancy
    of GLB people is limited, what research
    exists consistently indicates that the
    life expectancy of GLB people is substantially lower
    than that of the general population.
    It is difficult to research life expectancy issues
    for a population largely hidden due to GLB individuals’
    understandable reluctance to self-identify in surveys
    and other public data gathering tools.

    The
    HIV/AIDS epidemic has focused research on such issues
    as they relate to gay/bisexual men and this information
    provides some information as it relates to an important
    segment of the GLB population.
    It has been estimated that gay/bisexual men
    have a life expectancy 20 years less than the average
    man in Canada. In their book Caring For Lesbian and
    Gay People—A Clinical Guide
    , 1 authors Dr. Allan Peterkin
    and Dr. Cathy Risdon suggest that the life expectancy
    of gay/bisexual men in Canada is 55 years.

    Less research has been conducted on the life expectancy
    for lesbians in Canada but health indicators
    suggest that while it is not as low as that for gay
    men, it is still lower than the life expectancy of the
    general population.

    And where did I get this quote? From the gay Human Rights complaint that they sent to the Canadian Government in 2009. Of course, they blame the lower age on “homophobia” (which I think is false). I think it comes down to homosexual conduct and practices, but in any case, they do acknowledge the earlier age that gay men die.

    Vote: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 1 You need to be logged in to vote
  14. Kea (10,451 comments) says:

    Fletch I read that complaint. It made my skin crawl. That sort of PC crap has to be stopped. Do you know if the complaint was upheld ?

    You know I am ok with gay marriage and equality. But what they are after there is special treatment and rights, simply because they are queers. This is typical for groups the left has given their highest accolade to, the eagerly sought title of VICTIM.

    Vote: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  15. Kea (10,451 comments) says:

    Steve, do not listen to mara and keep on working. Many people drop dead shortly after retirement. Now get moving, there is work to be done :)

    Vote: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  16. UrbanNeocolonialist (136 comments) says:

    Bereal, your statement is based upon a fundamentally wrong assumption – It is unpopular with the left, but just as there are genetically determined differences between individuals so there are also substantial average genetic differences between different ethnic groups. External features are the most obvious example, but athletic ability (no white men faster than 10seconds for 100m, small proportion white in NBA), susceptibility to diseases (eg malaria), alcohol tolerance and even intelligence differences between different ethnic groups are all quite real and measurable by scientists not cowed by political correctness. Why would life expectancy be any different?

    Polynesians on average tend towards being bigger and stronger than Europeans, typically mature younger and die of age related illnesses earlier, some of that is down to not looking after themselves, but probably not all. For the last few thousand years their ancestors have lived in a violent stone aged culture where people rarely lived to >40 years old. Typical death rate in hunter gatherer stone age cultures is about 3% per year from violence, where youthful athleticism has an advantage, eg read “Old New Zealand for contemporary accounts of Maori life in the 1830′s. As a result until recently there was little evolutionary benefit in selecting genes for longer life compared to martial athleticism and prowess with weapons. Contrast that with less violent European and Asian cultures where people frequently lived into their 80′s conferring some benefit to their descendents due to the extra skilled work/support they could provide to their children and grandchildren.

    Fortunately most maori now carry a large proportion of European genes, so the differences are diminished, but if they still have a fundamentally lower life expectancy for genetic reasons, then is it not more fair for them to be able to retire earlier?

    Vote: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  17. Psycho Milt (1,988 comments) says:

    ….if they still have a fundamentally lower life expectancy for genetic reasons, then is it not more fair for them to be able to retire earlier?

    That’s a hell of a big if, especially since we already have credible explanations for it in rates for both smoking (not only of tobacco) and the kind of diet that eventually makes you a fat diabetic.

    Vote: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  18. Judith (5,660 comments) says:

    Thank goodness for that!

    For a minute there I thought this was going to say they had invented a serum to make us live forever.

    I’m happy to have an expiry date. I don’t really want to know what it is though.
    I had a great aunt that lived over 100. She used to love reading the death notices and seeing who she had outlived, then she would read them and see their children who she had out lived. She stopped reading the paper when she didn’t see anyone she knew anymore. She out lived both my mother and father (her nephew) and was deeply apologetic for still being here when they weren’t.

    She had never married and constantly said in her final years, that there is a point where one has lived too long.

    Vote: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0 You need to be logged in to vote
  19. muggins (2,904 comments) says:

    Life expectancy for a non-Maori male is 80 years, I am presuming that is for a non-Maori male born today. So what would the life expectancy be for a non-Maori male born ,say, in 1940?
    And is the life expectancy for a male who is half non-Maori and half Maori half-way between the non-Maori and Maori male life expectancy?
    And of course this is only an average. A smokers life expectancy would be lower than a non smokers.
    And then we have quite a large population of Pacific Islanders living in New Zealand. One presumes they are being classed as non- Maori . Should they not be in the same group as Maori? Their life expectancy would probably be more similar to a Maori’s life expectancy than a non- Maoris life expectancy.
    So perhaps there should be a group under the heading Maori and Pacific Islanders.

    Vote: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1 You need to be logged in to vote

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.