This is how the vote went for the WCC Mayoral election, on the provisional results.
- Celia Wade-Brown won 38% of the first preferences to 34% for John Morrison
- Jack Yan picked up the biggest slice of Karuna Muthu’s first preferences
- John Morrison picked up the biggest slice of Rob Goulden’s preferences
- Nicola Young’s support split three ways – 30% to Wade-Brown and Yan and 40% to Morrison.
- At this point there is only 3% in it and Yan has 18%.
- But Yan’s votes go 55% Wade-Brown and 45% Morrison giving her a 4.4% margin
Of interest 4,363 voters did not fully rank all preferences and hence did not get a say in the final decision between Morrison and Wade-Brown. This is a larger number that the margin of 2,284. Now they presumably made a conscious decision that they thought both candidates were equally undesirable (which is a perfectly appropriate view to have), but it does show the importance of ranking all preferences if you do want as full a say as possible.Tags: Celia Wade-Brown, Local Body Politics, STV, Wellington City Council