Many are saying that Labour needs a new leader, as both Labour and David Cunliffe are polling lower than they were under David Shearer.
But who could replace David Cunliffe as Labour Party Leader, so that there is a strong opposition to John Key? None of the current caucus look up to it. So maybe they could go outside.
Let’s look at the characteristics needed to be the opposition leader.
- An excellent communicator
- Charismatic and personable
- Well known
- Auckland based (where one third of the country live)
- Able to relate to rich and poor
- Not ashamed of his personal wealth
- Liked by the media
- Leftwing enough to be liked by both The Standard and the Daily Blog activists
- The sort of guy you’d happily invite to dinner or have a beer with
- Able to take complex facts and turn them into a simple narrative against the Government and Prime Minister
I think the answer is obvious. Only one person can credibly take over the leadership of the Labour Party.
John Campbell – step forward. Your country needs you.Tags: John Campbell, Labour Leadership