The 1st student loan arrest

The Herald reports:

Inland Revenue has received a surge of inquiries from student loan defaulters worried they could be arrested if they return to New Zealand.

One man who ignored his repayment obligations contacted the Weekend Herald from Australia and said he would now be scared to return for funerals or weddings.

How’s this for a plan? Start paying back the taxpayers the money you borrowed from us, and then you can return for all the funerals and weddings you like.

We paid for 75% of your tertiary education and lent you money for the other 25% or so of it. Not unreasonable you pay us back the 25%, especially as you are not even working and paying tax in NZ.

Comments (66)

Login to comment or vote