Some good facts in a presentation on US charter schools:
- The number of charter schools has increased from 1,500 to 6,700 from 1999 to 2014.
- The number of students in charter schools has increased from 350,000 to 2.9 million from 1999 to 2014.
- 5.8% of US students are now in a charter school – every one by choice
- Bad charter schools get closed down – around 3% a year close. When was the last time a bad state school closed? Most get closed for failing to meet academic targets – accountability.
- 29% of charter students are black (double the 15% in state schools) and 27% are Latino.
- Just over one million students are on a waiting list for a charter school
- On average charter schools improve student learning but this varies by state. Poor and black students are most likely to have improved learning at charter schools.
- Urban charter schools do especially well
- Charter school performance has improved over time as low performing schools get closed down, new high performing schools get opened and existing schools improve