Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
The Telegraph reports:
Almost half of Britons pay no income tax while the richest are now shouldering the biggest burden on record, a new analysis has found.
The Institute for Fiscal Studies said that the proportion of working-age adults who do not pay income tax has risen from 34.3 per cent to 43.8 per cent, equivalent to 30million people.
Over the same period the amount of income tax paid by the richest 1 per cent has risen from 24.4 per cent to 27.5 per cent, meaning that 300,000 people pay more than a quarter of the nation’s income tax.
It is much the same here. Almost half the households pay less in income tax than they get in direct payments such as benefits or child/family tax credits.
Went to a presentation by the global forecaster for Exxon Mobil about what they think the energy outlook will be in 2040. They’ve been doing this for several decades. I did ask how accurate was their 25 year forecast in 1990 for 2015 and he said that they got the overall demand level about right but thought nuclear would be a bigger sector today than it actually is.
The forecast is here.
Some key forecasts are:
- China will go from 10 cars per 100 people to 30 cars per 100 people
- Per capita incomes in OECD countries will increase 60% by 2040 while non OECD countries will go up 135%
- Coal generated electricity will drop from 40% to 30% of electricity
- Natural gas will grow more than any other energy source which will meet 40% of new demand from 2014 to 2040
- Energy related co2 emissions will peak around 2030 and then decline
- Fuel economy for light vehicles will improve by around 80%
- World population will reach nine billion and India reaches 1.6 billion to become the most populous country
- China will be 20% of world GDP in 2040
- India’s GDP per capita will triple
- Energy demand will increase 25% with OECD demand dropping 5% and rest of the world increasing
- OECD co2 per capita emissions will fall 30% by 2040 by which date China will have around the same per capita emissions
- Average growth rates for energy sources will be oil 0.7% a year, gas 1.6%, coal -0.2%, biomass 0.3%, nuclear 2.9%, solar/wind 4.8%, hydro/geo 1.3%
- World has 150 years supply of oil at current demand levels and estimates rise as technology gets better. So much for peak oil.
Pop superstar Prince has died at home in the United States, aged 57.
The ‘Purple Rain’ singer – full name Prince Rogers Nelson – was found dead at a compound in Paisley Park, Minnesota on Thursday morning (local time), his publicist Yvette Noel-Schure confirmed.
Sad so many of the great artists die so young.
McDonald’s is opening a restaurant in America that’s unlike any other McDonald’s in the world.
The new 6500-square-foot location in Missouri will offer all-you-can-eat french fries, customisable desserts, sandwiches, and burgers, as well as table service, The St. Joseph News-Press reports.
How terrible. I expect the normal suspects will call for this to be banned.
I wonder how long until they demand hotels ban breakfast buffets also?
THE father of Gold Coast jihadist Amira Karroum has launched a legal battle to claim her $300,000 life insurance policy.
Karroum, 22, changed from a “beautiful and loving” girl spending her days lounging on beaches to an armed soldier who died fighting for Islamic extremists in 2014.
Distraught father Mohamed Karroum, 72, said his daughter’s life insurance policy should be honoured because she was “tricked” into entering Syria at a time when it was not illegal to do so.
IntrustSuper refused to pay Karroum’s life insurance because of her ties to terrorist group al-Qa’ida and was supported by the Australian Government, which formally labelled her a terrorist after she was shot and dismembered by ISIS militants.
“They will not pay because you are not supposed to travel there but the law came in after Amira was killed,” he said.
It’s not just a matter of whether travel to Syria was banned. She joined a terrorist group and took part in armed combat. Of course insurance will be void in those circumstances.
The National review reports:
A male-to-female transgender woman who prefers the pronoun “it” says it believes it was born not only the wrong sex, but also the wrong species, and has been undergoing human-to-dragon transition procedures to fix the problem.
The 55-year-old, who was born “Richard Hernandez” but now goes by “Eva Tiamat Baphomet Medusa,” has already had a whole slew of transformative work done: Tooth extraction, eye coloring, horn implants, ear removal (!), nose modification and a procedure to give it a forked tongue.
So what type of toilet does a dragon use??No tag for this post.