Below is a list of all the state sector CEO salaries, based on the data released by the State Services Commission. These are approximate total remuneration annual costs, based on the following calculations:
- Assume salary is at the low end of the $10,000 band
- If they have worked for less than a year multiply salary by 365/days in job
- If the salary for the period was less than $100,000 use the salary for the previous year
46 state sector CEOs get paid more than the Prime Minister who is on $428,500.
I’ve broken the salaries into four sectors – core agencies, crown entities, tertiary institutes and DHBs. The data for each sector is:
So the average CEO salary is highest in the core public service, then within DHBs followed by the tertiary sector and then crown entities.
Core Public service
The top three CEO salaries are Treasury $650,000, MFAT $640,000 and MBIE $620,000.
The lowest three CEO salaries are Women’s Affairs $240,000, Pacific Island Affairs $270,000 and the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment $280,000.
The top three CEO salaries are NZ Super Fund $800,000, NZ Transport Agency $620,000 and ACC 600,000.
The lowest three CEO salaries are Drug Free Sport $140,000, Social Workers Registration Board $150,000 and Walking Access Commission $160,000.
The top three CEO salaries are Auckland DHB $570,000, Canterbury DHB $560,000 and Counties Manukau DHB $550,000.
The lowest three CEO salaries are Wairarapa DHB $250,000, South Canterbury $290,000 and Tairawhiti DHB $310,000.
The top three CEO salaries are Auckland University $660,000, Massey University $540,000 and Otagoo University $540,000.
The lowest three CEO salaries are Universal College of Learning $160,000, Aoraki Polytechnic $210,000 and Te Wananga o Raukawa $230,000.
Also have added up the totals for all positions in the public sector, by $50,000 band. They are:
- $100,000 – $150,000: 9,490
- $150,000 – $200,000: 2,236
- $200,000 – $250,000: 683
- $250,000 – $300,000: 271
- $300,000 – $350,000: 113
- $350,000 – $400,000: 52
- $400,000 – $450,000: 29
- $450,000 – $500,000: 12
- $500,000 – $550,000: 14
- $550,000 – $600,000: 10
- $600,000+: 16
Comparing public sector salaries to MP salaries:
- 55 people in the public sector get paid more than the Prime Minister on $428,500
- 207 people in the public sector get paid more than the Deputy Prime Minister on $303,900
- 367 people in the public sector get paid more than a Cabinet Minister on $268,500
- 3,430 people in the public sector get paid more than an MP on $147,800
Tags: CEO salaries, state sector