An interesting article in the Chronicle of Higher Education, suggesting blogs have become the new Iowa Caucus in US Politics.
The Iowa Caucus is the traditionally primary that annoints a front-runner. However just one blog, Daily Kos, has more monthly readers than there are residents in Iowa and New Hampshire.
The article tries to define what blogs are for campaigns, asking:
* Are blogs the new Iowa caucus?
* Are blogs fund-raising machines?
* Are blog posts campaign literature?
* Are blogs “meet the candidate” get-togethers?
* Are bloggers political operatives?
* Are blogs campaign rallies?
* Are blogs television ads?
* Are blogs talk radio?