I’m a supporter of local body amalgamation and would like to see it occur in both Wellington and Auckland. But I winder what on earth were the four Auckland Mayors thinking with their proposal. In summary in involves:
* A two year delay in elections (the most undemocratic thing incumbents can do)
* Introducing the ridicolous title of Lord Mayor
* Having the central Government appoints some Auckland councillors
* No identified efficiency savings and hence rate decreases
* Many Crs being removed by direct election, and hence protected against public sacking in response to rates increases
Christchurch Mayor Garry Moore savaged the plan on Agenda this morning, as did pretty much everyone else.