Matthew Beveridge blogs some social media tips for MPs:
- Don’t click on links you are unsure of
- Don’t buy followers
- Do two-way conversations, not broadcasts
- Do not link your Facebook account to also post to Twitter
- Update regularly
- Don’t be needlessly inflammatory
- Don’t block people unless obviously abusive
- Plus local events and businesses
On the blocking people issue, I agree MPs should only block as a last resort. However I am finding I am blocking more and more people (benefits of not being an MP). I’ll not block those who engage respectfully on an issue, yet disagree. But I will block those who do nothing but have a go.
The nice thing with blocking on Twitter is that you are in no way stopping them from still criticizing you and saying what they want about you. They can still do that to their heart’s content. It just means that you won’t see them.