New Zealand beat Sweden by 56 seconds and has easily won the Louis Vuitton challenger series 5 to 2 to become the official challenger.
Our history in the America’s Cup is:
- 1987 – KZ-7 lost in the challenger final
- 1988 – KZ-1 is the challenger
- 1992 – NZ did not compete
- 1995 – NZL-32 is the challenger and wins
- 2000 – NZL-60 is the defender and wins
- 2003 – NZL-82 is the defender and loses
- 2007 – NZL-92 is the challenger and loses
- 2010 – NZ did not compete
- 2013 – Emirates Team NZ is the challenger and loses
- 2017 – Emirates Team NZ is the challenger
We now start the America’s Cup at -1 to Oracle at 0 and the first one to seven wins so we have to bear Oracle eight times to win – a hard call.