The ABC reports:
Disgraced Darling Range MP Barry Urban has resigned from the WA Parliament after a powerful committee recommended he be expelled for repeatedly lying about his past.
The Legislative Assembly’s Procedure and Privileges Committee made the rare recommendation in a report examining the truth of statements Mr Urban made in the Parliament.
The report found Mr Urban lied to the public and Parliament for years about his police service and his education history.
Among his background details rubbished by the committee was Mr Urban’s claim he served as a war crimes investigator in the Balkans.
Seems a real Walter Mitty type. Not only lied on his CV, but repeated them in Parliament.
His false claims include:
- He had a degree from the University of Leeds;
- He had a Certificate of Higher Education in Policing from the University of Portsmouth;
- He had completed nine out of 10 modules of a Diploma of Local Government;
- He was seconded from West Midlands Police in 1998 and served with the United Nations mission in the Balkans, where he provided security for a team investigating war crimes;
- He was posted a service medal by UK authorities;
- He subsequently lost such medal;
- He was entitled to wear such a medal; and
- He was under a genuine but mistaken belief that he was entitled to wear a replica police overseas service medal.
He wasn’t technically expelled as he resigned before they could.