The latest ISP survey from Stats NZ shows what huge changes there have been in the last seven years (when it started). Changes are:
- Fibre connections – from 3,700 to 598,000
- Monthly data use from 13 petabytes to 292 petebaytes
- 29% now have download speeds of over 100 Mb/s and 48% of over 50 Mb/s
- 28% have upload speeds of over 20 Mb/s and 77% of over 10 Mb/s
- No of households with no data cap gone from 75,000 to 1,072,000 (over two thirds)
- Dialup connections dropped from 208,000 to just 18,000
The fibre rollout has seen a huge increase in both download and upload speeds, which combined with data caps disappearing has made a huge difference to Internet use in NZ.