Marc Thiessen has now published his 10 worst Trump things, to balance his list of the 10 best things. They are:
- His pullout of all U.S. troops in Syria will take America’s boot off of the terrorists’ necks.
- His planned withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan is a gift to the Taliban and al-Qaeda.
- His policy to separate migrant children from their families at the southern border was an avoidable tragedy.
- His news conference with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki was an embarrassment.
- His handling of Jamal Khashoggi’s murder harmed America’s moral standing.
- His graceless handling of Sen. John McCain’s funeral was a new low.
- He drove away suburban voters and caused the GOP to lose control of the House.
- His misuse of power turned critics into martyrs.
- His offensive tweets continued to undermine his presidency.
- His comment about “sh–hole” countries blew up negotiations for a deal that would have given Trump his border wall.
It is notable that, with the exception of troop withdrawals and family separations, most of the items on this list were transgressions of style rather than substance. With the mute button on, the Trump presidency is pretty good from a conservative policy perspective. And yet Trump’s approval rating at year’s end is just 39 percent — because most Americans don’t follow politics with the sound off.
No President has ever got re-elected with such a low approval rating. However the Democrats may select someone who will allow Trump to pull it off.