Have a read of this excellent story at The Spin Off. It will leave you in no doubt that an anti 1080 group called Flora and Fauna of Aotearoa (F&F) fabricated or forged a document claiming to be a lab analysis of how some rats and mussels etc died on the West Coast. It is a superb destruction of the credibility of the so called lab analysis, and the result should be that no media anywhere ever quote something from F&F again.
Their report from an “independent laboratory” concluded the rats etc died from 1080, with 41 pages of “evidence”. The problems were:
- Contradicted reports from both Landcare and Massey
- The lab was not named, and they refuse to do so
- The lab templates appear to be copied from the website of Virginia Tech
- The results were hand written which is strange as residue analysis is a digital process
- The lab managed to do testing protocols for three species for which no protocol exists
- They claimed to have tested 15 samples in two days
- It claimed the level of poison in the rats was 30 times the normal lethal dose and that starfish managed to imbibe a dosage level while underwater that was 10 times the lethal level
- The fluorocitrate levels were ten times higher than the 1080 levels, which should be impossible as not all the 1080 converts to fluorocitrate
- The testing protocol claimed to be used is unheard of
- F&F published the results of the testing three days before the lab was supposed to have completed the testing
- The lab claimed to have used a product from a supplier which the supplier stopped selling in 2015
If the group tries such a stunt again, I suspect they’ll end up facing charges for fraud.