It was a victory for bureaucracy over business.
Jacinda Ardern said as much when announcing the lockdown would be extended until midnight next Monday. It was an action, she said, recommended by the Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield.
The Prime Minister then went on to show this Government isn’t business savvy. Not one of the people on the Covid Response Cabinet Committee has ever run a business – and it shows.
This is true. The members are:
- Jacinda Ardern – last worked in private sector at her school fish and chip shop
- Winston Peters – been in politics since 1978
- Kelvin Davis – was a state funded school teacher
- Grant Robertson – student politician and political staffer
- Chris Hopkins – student political and political staffer
- Carmel Sepuloni – no private sector experience
- David Clark – ran a university hostel
- James Shaw – was employed as a consultant, so closest they have
Few MPs have ever run a business where they have had their own money at risk – have had to put in capital etc.