On the assumption that surely David Clark is goneburger, this raises the issue of who will be the new Minister of Health. Not a lot of options. Let’s look at the Cabinet in order, assuming it must be a Labour Minister:
- Ardern herself. Could be justified until the election on the basis the portfolio is so critical. And she clearly is the de facto Minister already with Clark locked out of Wellington. But it is a portfolio that takes a lot of time, so not ideal for a PM
- Kelvin Davis – LOL LOL LOL
- Robertson can’t do a major spending portfolio with Finance
- Twyford – double LOL LOL LOL
- Megan Woods – a definite possibility. Quietly competent so far.
- Hipkins – won’t want to leave Education
- Little – would have to give up Justice which he loves
- Sepuloni – doubtful she is seen as having the political skills
- Parker – a possibility. Others could do his current roles.
- Mahuta – again political skills unlikely to be judged highly enough
- Nash – not trusted enough by Robertson
- Lees-Galloway – not after giving a drug dealer residency
- Salesa – a possibility as an Associate, but unlikely
- O’Connor – needed in Agriculture
- Faafoi – too new into Cabinet
So my overall pick would be Woods most likely with 2nd most likely is Ardern takes it herself.