California is seen as the liberal capital of America, but while they voted 65% for Biden, there were some pretty conservative outcomes on state referenda:
- Rejected by 48% to 52% higher commercial property taxes to fund education
- Rejected by 44% to 56% repealing a ban on affirmative action
- Rejected by 45% to 55% allowing 17 year olds to vote in primaries
- Rejected by 40% to 60% expanding rent control
- Approved by 59% to 41% that Uber and Lyft drivers are contractors not employees
- Rejected by 44% to 56% ending cash bail
Voting to uphold a ban on affirmative action was perhaps the most surprising result.