Labour voted in Parliament for the bill that will do the biggest ever restructuring of the health system not to go to the Health Committee. Instead they set up a special select committee to consider it.
Here’s who Labour has on the Health Select Committee:
- Dr Liz Craig (doctor, public health specialist)
- Tracey McLellan (psychologist, nurses union)
- Dr Anae Neru Leavasa (doctor, GP)
- Sarah Pallett (midwife, midwifery lecturer)
- Dr Gaurav Sharma (dcotor, GP)
- Tangi Utikere (Deputy Mayor)
So five of the six Labour MPs on the Health Select Committee are health professionals. There was obviously a huge risk they might actually ask questions they were not meant to, so instead it has gone to a new committee. The Government really doesn’t like independence.