The Herald reports:
The women were the big winners at last night’s Halberg Awards, with champion shot-putter Valerie Vili taking home the annual supreme title and retired rowing champs Caroline and Georgina Evers-Swindell being named Sports Champions of the Decade.
The golden girls – now Georgina Earl and Caroline Meyer – enjoyed a golden night when they headed off other Halberg Award winners from 2000-09, including Vili.
I think it is going to be a very long time before people stop thinking of Mrs Earl and Mrs Meyer as the Evers-Swindells!
So the Halberg decade winners have been:
- 1900s – 1905 All Blacks
- 1910s – Anthony Wilding (tennis)
- 1920s – George Nepia (if you have to ask which sport, you are in the wrong country)
- 1930s – Jack Lovelock
- 1940s – Bert Sutcliffe (cricket)
- 1950s – Yvette Williams (athletics)
- 1960s – Peter Snell (who also won the century award)
- 1970s – John Walker
- 1980s – Sir Richard Hadlee
- 1990s – Danyon Loader (swimming)
- 2000s – Caroline and Georgina Evers-Swindell