David Cunliffe is holding a press conference at 5.15 pm to announce at least some of the Government’s decisions with regard to changes in the Telecommunications environment.
Details as I get them.
PR online here.
* local loop unbundling
* Enhanced information disclosure, accounting separation of Telecom’s business operations and an enhanced Commerce Commission monitoring role
* Removing 128 kb/s upload constraint on the existing regulated Unbundled Bitstream Service
* Encouraging investment in alternative infrastructure such as fibre, wireless and satellite networks by measures including a review of public sector investment in telecommunications infrastructure to encourage a whole-of-government approach
* developing a rural package and expansion of the Digital Strategy Broadband Challenge fund.
* continuing to look at whether additional measures are warranted such as the structural separation of Telecom’s retail and lines operations