Fran O’Sullivan writes on the low level in NZ for the top tax rate to apply, compared to other countries. I’m going to copy her table but convert it all to NZ$.
- Australia – 45 per cent at $212,000
- United States – 35 per cent at $459,000
- Britain – 40 per cent at $93,000
- Canada – 29 per cent at $162,000
- Ireland – 41 per cent at $80,000
- New Zealand – 39 per cent at $60,000.
As I calculated after the Australian budget this year, you pay less tax in Australia at around every income level up until $240,000 or so.