National has released a policy to incentivise doctors, nurses and midwives to stay in New Zealand, and even No Right Turn likes it.
Policy details are:
- Voluntary bonding with student loan debt writeoffs
- Will apply to those willing to work for three to five years in hard to staff communities or specialities
- A maximum annual write off of $10,000 per annum
- $30,000 written off (if at maximum rates) after year three and then $10,000 a year for the next two years if they stay on.
- Will apply to anyone who graduated from 2005 onwards
- Will be extended to other health professionals over time
- Cost is initially $3 million in year one expanding to $9 million in year three which covers 100 doctors and 250 nurses and midwives.