The SST asked John key and Helen Clark to both do a Myers-Brigg type personality test. Clark of course refused, but Key was a good sport and did the 20 question test, which identified him as a “go-getter”.
The SST have published the full list of questions, options and answers. I’ll comment on what my answers would be also:
Section 1: Planner or Spontaneous?
1) When you go on holiday, what do you prefer to do?
Plan every detail in advance
Plan a rough itinerary in advance, leaving some time free
Look at a few options in advance, but only really decide when you’re there
You rarely plan, just book at the last minute and go with the flow
I am more go with the flow. In fact sometimes decide destination on the day by tossing a coin.
2) What statement best describes how you do your regular grocery shop?
You make a detailed list of everything you need to buy
You make a rough list to jog your memory
You don’t make a list, as you think it’s a waste of time
You don’t do a regular shop, you just go when you need to
Same. I do regular shop but no list.
3) You’ve been to a furniture store and have come back with some flat-pack furniture, like a wardrobe or a desk that you have to assemble. What are you most inclined to do?
Before you start, you check that all the components are there and that you have the tools you will need
You read through the instructions carefully first and then follow them step by step
You scan the instructions, although you don’t always follow them exactly
You leap in, only referring to the instructions if you get stuck
I only will refer to instructions after many hours of trying without them!
4) Which description fits you best?
You are a perfectionist and can’t leave anything unfinished
You need time, over-prepare and hate pressure
You’re scatty, forgetful and disorganised
You put things off till the last minute and are often late
I’m none of those really. Sometimes a perfectionist but sometimes put things off.
5) What happens when your local supermarket moves the food to different aisles?
You would notice and it would really bother you
You would notice, but you simply change the order in which you shop
You would notice, but it wouldn’t bother you as you have no set routine
You probably wouldn’t notice
Agree – very annoying.
Section 2: Facts or Ideas?
6) Of the following options which one describes you best?
I would go for efficient for me.
7) How do you usually give directions to your house? Do you
Provide a step-by-step list of directions for the entire journey?
Draw a really detailed map that shows things like street names and roundabouts?
Just give general directions?
Sketch a rough map, as too many details can be confusing?
I send them a Google Maps location so guess that is step by step.
8) Which set of words best describes you?
Practical, thorough and stable
Realistic, enthusiastic and spontaneous
Inventive, imaginative and original
Creative, dynamic and adventurous
Probably the same – enthusiastic and spontaneous.
9) Which of these best describes how you do your supermarket shopping?
You usually go up and down the aisles in exactly the same order
You read and compare labels and prices
You’re attracted to new things or special offers that catch your eye
You vary the way you go round the supermarket depending on what you feel like buying
Same – special offers work on me. But I do always travel the aisles in order also.
10) Look at the picture below. Write down on a piece of paper what you see. Allow yourself about 30 seconds for this. Now choose which statement best describes what you noted down:
Is it a list of what’s in the picture?
A story about what’s happening in the picture?
Have you tried to find the hidden meaning in this picture?
Or lots of ideas inspired by the picture?
Section 3: Heads or hearts?
11) Which set of words best describes you?
Analytical, logical and objective
Decisive, driven and energetic
Caring, helpful and supportive
Complex, thoughtful and sensitive
That is hard – I put myself as analytical but also complex and thoughtful. Probably analytical, logical and objective is the best fit.
12) What would you do if you had to decide between two homes to move into?
List your ideal features and compare which place has the most
Compare the good and bad features of both
Go with your gut feeling about which is best
Think about how each place affects the other people in your life
Definitely gut feeling. You can not decide a home based on a list.
13) If your friend started dating someone you really disliked and asked you what you thought about their relationship, what would you do?
Be up front and honest about what you think
Try to be tactful but still be truthful about what you think
Try not to hurt their feelings, changing the subject if necessary
Avoid hurting their feelings, telling a “white lie” if necessary
I’m in the upfront and honest category.
14) If you are with a group of friends and an argument breaks out, what do you tend to do?
Face the dispute head on
Try to find an answer to the problem
Try to meet everyone’s needs
Anything to avoid hurting people’s feelings
Try to meet everyone’s needs.
15) When you have to make a difficult decision, what is most important to you?
Arriving logically at the best choice
Being as fair as possible
Doing the right thing according to your own beliefs and values
Getting the approval and agreement of others
Doing the right thing according to my beliefs and values.
Section 4: Extravert or introvert
16) When you are out with a group of your friends, how much of the talking do you usually do?
Hardly any at all
A little less than most
Quite a lot
Somewhere between quite a lot and almost all.
17) When it comes to expressing yourself do you
Hold back more, listening to others before speaking?
Think before you speak?
Think out loud?
Use your hands and facial expressions a lot?
I think out loud – far too often.
18) What are you like when you have to meet a group of new people?
You stick with the people you’ve met before
You spend your time thinking about how to keep the conversation going
You aim to mingle with as many new people as possible
You just go out and have fun
I sort of aim to mingle with as many new people – I like meeting new people.
19) Which set of words best describes you?
Cautious, thoughtful and loyal
Inquisitive, independent and contained
Lively, enthusiastic and energetic
Expressive, talkative and friendly
Hard one again – very very loyal but not very cautious. Highly independent and inquisitive so go with that one.
20) If you are in the middle of something important and the phone rings how do you usually react? Do you
Ignore the phone, or let the machine pick up?
Take the call, but deal with it as quickly as possible?
Answer it as you welcome the chance to talk to someone, but keep it brief?
Answer the phone enthusiastically and be up for a long conversation?
I ignore the phone now, but only if the caller is less important than what I am doing 🙂
So how many did I get the same as John? Only 7/20!