The Dominion Post has done a feature of several pages to evaluate the first year of the Key Government. Part of that is a ranking of the National Ministers. They have not ranked John Key (there’s a sort of automatic assumption that he would be top ranking) but have ranked Lockwood Smith, even though he is Speaker, not a Minister. The ratings are:
- 10/10 – Lockwood Smith
- 9.5/10 – Simon Power
- 9.0/10 – Steven Joyce
- 8.5/10 – Tony Ryall
- 8.0/10 – Judith Collins
- 7.5/10 – Chris Finlayson
- 7.0/10 – Bill English and Paula Bennett
- 6.5/10 – Nick Smith
- 6.0/10 – Gerry Brownlee, Murray McCully and Tim Groser
- 5.0/10 – Phil Heatley, Anne Tolley, Wayne Mapp, Nathan Guy
- 4.0/10 – Jonathan Coleman, Maurice Williamson and Georgina te Heuheu
- 3.0/10 – Kate Wilkinson, David Carter and John Carter
- 2.0/10 – Pansy Wong
The Dom Post refers to the top six rated as “the stars”, and I agree they have all handled their areas very well, even though of course I may disagree with some of the policy decisions. If it were not for the housing issue, I think Bill would have been there also.
These are of course the ratings of the Dominion Post gallery team.Not sure if the Herald will do their own ratings. In December I expect we will get the annual Trans-Tasman ratings of not just Ministers, but all 122 MPs.