The SSC has released details of senior level pay in the public sector.
- Of the 114 crown entities, eight have CEO paid below $100,000, 15 are $100 to $200 k,29 are $200 k to $300k, 31 are $300 to $400 k, 14 are $400 k to $500 k, 13 are $500 to $600 k, and four are over $600 k. The top one is the Cullen Fund CEO at $800,000 then the CEOs of Auckland Uni, NZTA and ACC.
- Of the 34 core agency CEOs whose pay is detemrined by the SSC, the lowest paid is Ministry of Pacific Island Affairs at $270,000, then LINZ at $360,000 and MCH at $380,000.
- The top paid core agency CEOs are Treasury $650,000, MFAT $640,000 and MBIE at $620,000
- 17 state sector jobs have their pay set by the Rumeration authority. The lowest paid are the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment at $280,000 and the highest the State Services Commissioner at $610,000 followed by NZDF CDF at $580,000 and the Solictor-General the same.
- 7,111 staff (excluding CEOs) are paid over $100,000 a year – up from 6,396 the previous year. This is not hugely surprising as $100,000 is no longer as exclusive a salary as in the past.
- Three non CEOs are paid $470,000 a year
- 14 staff are paid over $400,000 a year
- 79 staff are paid $300 to $400 k
- 561 staff are paid $200 k to $300 k
- 1,882 staff are paid over $150,000
- 5,665 tertiary staff are paid over $100,000
- 1,405 tertiary staff are paid over $150,000
- 404 tertiary staff are paid over $200,000
Also 159 non CEO public sector staff get paid more than a cabinet minister, and 96 tertiary institute staff (excluding CEOs) get paid more than a cabinet minister.