Vanguard School has published its annual report.
- Level 1 NCEA success rate 96% (decile average is 74%)
- Level 1 Maori NCEA success rate 92% (decile average is 70%)
- Level 1 Pasifika NCEA success rate 100% (decile average is 69%)
- Level 2 NCEA success rate 100% (decile average is 92%)
- 108 students, increasing to 144 in 2015
- 52% Maori or Pasifika
- No school fees
- School provides uniforms and pays exam fees
- Reports every quarter to Ministry of Education
- All staff are qualified teachers except three specialists in engineering and defence force studies
- No school zone – all applicants are accepted. Some travel as far as from Warkworth to attend. 74% of students are not local.
- Establishment grant was $1.6 million, compared to average cost of new state schools being $30 – $50 million
- Attendance rate is 11% above contracted, and exceeds national average
The only slight negative is they have had to suspend and stand down a few students very early on in 2014.
Overall they look like they are succeeding very very well, with a group of students who were not succeeding in other schools. Despite this Labour and Greens want to close them down.