- The US Republican Party was set up in 1854 as an anti slavery party
- The 1st Republican (of the current party) President was Abraham Lincoln
- In the 1857 Dred Scott case which decided negros were property not citizens, the only two dissenting judges were Republican and the seven majority judges were Democrats
- John Wilkes Booth was a Democrat
- The Democratic Party opposed the 13th Amendment, which abolished slavery; the 14th Amendment, which gave blacks citizenship; and the 15th Amendment, which gave blacks the vote
- 22 black Republicans served in the US Congress by 1900. The Democrats did not elect a black man to Congress until 1935.
- The founder of the KKK, Nathan Bedford Forrest, was a Democrat
- The 1964 Civil Rights Act was supported by 80% of Republicans in Congress and less than 70% of Democrats
- A Democratic Senator filibustered the Civil Rights Act for 75 days
I follow US politics a lot but I wasn’t aware of all of this.