National $4 billion transport package for Wellington and the Hutt is a superb mixture of needed investment in both roads and public transport. They have pledged funding for:
- A 2nd Mt Vic tunnel to commence construction by 2023 ($700m)
- A rapid transit (bus or tram) service between the airport, hospital and railway station ($2.2b)
- A 2nd Terrace tunnel ($400m) to start by 2029
- Underground SH1 through Te Aro ($1.1b)
- Petone to Grenada Link Road ($900m)
- Wellington Metro Rail Upgrade ($300m)
- Hutt Valley to Wellington walking and cycleway ($130m)
Also welcome news to ratepayers is that all the SH1 improvements will be fully funded by central Government, not ratepayers. This restores the usual formula that NZTA funds national roads and ratepayers funds local roads.
I also like National’s proposal to set up a dedicated transport agency for Wellington. The current split of duties between the local Councils, Regional Council and NZTA is not optimal.