Vilami Latu is believed to have killed his estranged partner and himself last week. She should still be alive.
The timeline of events shows it was preventable.
- Partner often seen by neighbours with black eyes
- Latu often seen wondering streets with a machete
- Police and other agencies notified by April 2020
- Nov 2020 – shoved a young child from a moving car. Assaulted neighbour who called the Police. Given bail to brother’s place in Pukekohe.
- Jan/Feb 2021 – breached bail conditions by travelling to partner’s house. Despite that bail not rescinded
- Mar 2021 – killed partner
He shouldn’t have been given bail in the first place and he shouldn’t have kept bail after he breached it. Someone who will throw a kid out of a moving car is an obvious danger.