I have been working through a major data project on the state of education in New Zealand and a lot of information is emerging.
The hope is that someone (e.g. the Ministry – who have said that one of their people might be able to meet with me on October 6th – such is their interest in the outcomes on NZ students) might use it to accurately improve things.
As a point of political interest; here is the political oversight of the work electorates for ambition in our country based on the University Entrance achievements.
|Electorate||Member of Parliament||2020 UE % for School Leavers|
|Taranaki-King Country||Barbara Kuriger (Nat)||19|
|Manurewa||Arena Williams (Lab)||20|
|Christchurch East||Poto Williams (Lab)||24|
|Mangere||Hon Apito Willian Sio (Lab)||24|
|Northland||Willow Jean-Prime (Lab)||25|
|East Coast||Kiri Allen (Lab)||28|
|West Coast Tasman||Damien O’Connor (Lab)||28|
|Hamilton West||Dr Gaurav Sharma (Lab)||29|
|Papakura||Hon Judith Collins (Nat)||29|
|Contrast: No.1 Epsom||David Seymour (ACT)||84|
The data set is in spreadsheet form and includes sheets on
– high-school size – largest to smallest
– number of 2020 leavers – largest to smallest.
– Level 3 NCEA and above percentage for school leavers for each school 2018-20 (ranked highest to lowest for 2020).
– UE percentage for school leavers for each school 2018-20 (ranked highest to lowest for 2020).
– Each school’s UE percentage for leavers for 2020 compared to decile mean and ranked highest to lowest across all schools.
– Level 3 NCEA and above gap to UE for leavers 2018-20 and ranked smallest to largest for 2020.
– Retention percentage until 17 years of age for each school and ranked highest to lowest.
– Percentage for each school of their leavers going onto L7+ Degree study – ranked highest to lowest.
– The anonymised data mean for full attendance across deciles 2018-20.
– UE percentage by school governance and school type.
It should be of interest to every school, politician, parent and anyone interested in improving NZ’s education system and future society.
Inquires to: firstname.lastname@example.org