The Herald reports:
A Mongrel Mob leader accused of helping a Covid-positive sex worker obtain documentation to travel to Northland has lashed out at the allegations and threatened legal action.
In an interview with Te Ao Māori News this afternoon, Hawke’s Bay Mongrel Mob leader Harry Tam says the claims levelled by former Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters are not true.
“If Winston said it, he needs to prove it… If he’s not going to apologise, we will need to look at legal action,” Tam said.
Peters appeared on TV3’s Newshub on Saturday morning levelling the allegations which had been circulating on social media and encrypted messaging app ‘WhatsApp’ on Friday night.
Winston claimed to have impeccable sources, but basically his source appears to be a Facebook post that had circulated widely.
I have received it almost a dozen times, and was sceptical of the part that claimed Harry Tam was with the Northland case and arranged her travel. It was just far too convenient – the guy who had just been in the news. So I decided not to publish it, but Winston blurts it out on live TV as holy writ.
It is a shame Winston did, because it has allowed the Government to escape scrutiny over the rest of the issue. They have denied the aspects about Harry Tam, but are not denying all of it:
Speaking to media on Saturday afternoon, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said there was “no evidence” to support some of the claims around the Northland case and that the government was being transparent in their disclosures.
Note the carefully phrased use of “some of the claims”. If the Government was transparent it would share with the public what they know.