I got an e-mail last night from someone who was polled by UMR – Labour’s polling company.
On top of the normal questions asking if people think John Key is slippery, there were at least two questions on how the Prime Minister has handled the Winston Peters funding scandal. They asked if people thought she had been decisive and also if people approve of her handling of Peters on a five point scale from strongly approve to strongly disapprove.
This is pretty significant. You don’t ask questions for no reasons. The results of that polling will obviously influence what Clark does once the confidence vote is passed this week.
Winston may not be amused to find out Helen is polling, effectively to find out whether she should sack him or not.
The results will be interesting. You see NZ First can survive by pissing off 90% of the public and confusing half of the remaining 10%. Major parties can not. When National had NZ First’s Tukugate (which was a completely trivial issue compared to this) scandal, it was National that eventually also got pushed down in the polls as you get suffer guilt by association.Tags: Helen Clark, Labour, UMR, Winston First