Such a good policy it was released twice – by Trevor Mallard and then John Key!
The major points are:
- Set 20 long-term environmental goals after stakeholder consultation.
- Transfer to the Independent Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment the responsibility for a five-yearly State of the Environment report.
- Change Ministry for the Environment into a small politically neutral policy ministry only.
- Expand the Environmental Risk Management Authority into a full blown Environmental Protection Agency.
- Confirm a target of 50% reduction (from 1990) of carbon emissions by 2050 through an Emissions Trading Scheme.
- Dump the Biofuels bill but provide a tax incentive for sustainable biofuels.
- $1,000 grants for households to install solar water systems.
- Exempt electric cars from road user charges.
- Establish a new national park in Northland’s Waipoua and surrounding Kauri forests.
- Initiate a formal investigation under the National Parks Act of a new national park on the public lands of the Waitakere Ranges.
There’s also additional details around air and noise standards etc.Tags: Election 2008, environment, National