NZ Herald reports:
The tradition of throwing lollies and squirting water at the crowd has been banished from Christmas parades under health and safety rules enforced by Auckland Council.
Oh Good God. Of course there is some small risk of harm, but let’s use common sense. Has any harm ever actually occured, or is likely to?
There is a big difference between mitigating risk and trying to eliminate it.
Santa Parade rules
* No throwing lollies or gifts to children. Handing them to children is okay.
* No wetting people, with pistols, bombs and cannon.
* Drive floats at walking pace only.
* No passengers under 5 years old.
* No gymnasts doing cartwheels among animal droppings.
Okay that last rule is probably pretty sensible!Tags: Auckland Council, Santa Parade