Stats NZ have done their first survey of ISPs in NZ. InternetNZ helped suggest questions. Some interesting results:
* 1.24 million customers of 66 ISPs with 80% of customers being residential.
* 65% of accounts are dialup (which suggests 81% of residential customers are still on dialup)
* 90% of ISPs offer spam filtering, with 77% doing it for free and 13% charging for it
* 86% offer virus filtering
* Only 36% offer content filtering
* The largest barriers to growth were the strength of competition followed by the telecommunications regulatory environment. Cost of international bandwidth also a big issue.