Sir Lanka, a country slammed by Human Rights Groups for its extrajudicial executions thinks the UK should ditch the monarchy as it is anti human rights. Now I am a republican but I don’t think the UK needs to be told buy the UN what form of Government to have.
Syria, a country with one party rule, complains about discrimination against Muslims. Syria only restricts freedom of speech, press, assembly, movement, association and oh yeah religion.
But the highlight must be Iran complaining about the UK’s record on sexual discrimination. Here is how Iran treats women:
- If a woman is killed (say in a car accident) her family is paid only half of what they would get if a male is killed
- The testimony of a male witness is worth twice that of a female witness
- Women can not travel by themselves without written permission of her father or husband
- Women get only half the inheritance amounts men get
- Women who are raped are deemed guilty of extra-marital sex unless there are four Muslim male witnesses to the rape
And Iran sits on the UN Human Rights Council lecturing the UK on its sex discrimination record. It would be funny if it wasn’t so very very sad.
There is a rumour NZ is going to seek a place on the Human Rights Council. I sincerely hope we do not. We should not add legitimacy to this farce.