The cumulative cost of Labour’s policies on exporters is looking to be quite huge. Here’s my ballpark estimates:
- ETS on Agriculture – $830 million/year
- Capital Gains Tax on farms – $1.3 billion/year (scheduled for 2021)
- Land Tax – $1.05 billion year (1% on $105 billion of agricultural land)
- Water Tax – $200 million/year
- Renege on TPP – $2.7 billion/year
So we’re a small trading nation that relies on exports to grow our economy and provide jobs and fund public services.
And over time Labour’s policies will lead to a revenue loss of around $6 billion a year for the export sector. Why would you want that? It’s akin to economic vandalism. We should be helping our export sector, not punishing them.